Encore Media Group—publisher of Encore Arts Programs in Seattle and the San Francisco Bay Area as well as City Arts magazine and various cultural publications in Seattle—seeks a full-time Graphic Designer. This role will include, but is not limited to, the creation of marketing and brand collateral, digital assets, print magazine advertisements and page layout, production and prepress for print publications. This position works directly with City Arts’ art director, Encore Media Group’s project managers and other internal staff.
Qualifications & Experience
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite programs, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop required
- Experience with HTML/CSS in the design of digital materials
- 3+ years of publication production and design experience required
- Strong ability to develop compelling, on-brand creative concepts and execute them in service of strategic goals
- Strong understanding of the principles of design, typography, photography and color for print and web
- Knowledge of printing process, paper stocks and proofing methods
- The ability to manage deadlines and production scheduling on numerous, concurrent projects
- Positive attitude and ability to provide exceptional internal and external customer service
- Personal commitment to quality and attention to detail
- The ability to work collaboratively with other internal staff and departments
- Interest in the performing arts and cultural community
Encore offers an outstanding benefits package and is headquartered north of downtown Seattle in the Greenwood neighborhood with easy transit access. Free parking on-site. Learn more about us at www.EncoreArtsSeattle.com.
- Medical/dental/vision plan
- 3+ weeks annual Time Bank upon hiring
- 4 weeks Sabbatical after each 7 years of service
- Access to performing arts and cultural events
Send resume and samples (which should convey your publication layout & graphic design skills) to: email@example.com, or mail to Encore Media Group, Design & Production Director, 425 N. 85th St., Seattle, WA 98103. No phone calls, please. Pay is DOE.
City Arts is currently looking for editorial interns. Interns provide invaluable support to the magazine, the website, social media and events. Interns will gain insight into the editorial, design and production processes. College graduates pursuing careers in journalism, publishing or marketing are preferred. These are unpaid positions, but academic credits are possible if needed.
- Copyediting, proofreading, transcribing and fact-checking as needed
- Researching and compiling info for print and online event previews
- Researching feature topics
- Writing and/or photographing for occasional event previews and blog assignments
- Securing and organizing digital artwork files
- Contributing to marketing and in-house ad materials
- Providing support at sponsored events (for interns 21+)
You do not need prior experience in journalism to apply for a City Arts internship. Ideal candidates will be highly motivated, independent and graceful under pressure. A background in writing, the arts and/or communications is a plus.
- Minimum commitment of two eight-hour days per week for three months
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, e-mail and Web research
- Familiarity with standard social media platforms
- Ready access to email and Internet outside our offices
To apply, please e-mail your resume and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a brief letter of interest describing your interest in City Arts and the subjects we cover (e.g., theater, live music, visual arts, dance) in one document. City Arts editorial internships run in approximate three-month intervals. We are always accepting application materials.
Looking for a fun way to volunteer in the Seattle arts community? City Arts is looking for energetic, engaging, friendly volunteers to represent us at local events and festivals throughout the year! Perks include movie tickets, restaurant gift certificates, theatre tickets, guest list invites to City Arts events and more. If interested, please email email@example.com. In your response, please include:
- Your availability
- Seattle neighborhood where you live
- Professional/social background
- Your top three favorite local art/music events
- If you are over 21 years of age (some of our events have age limitations)
City Arts lovers, students, music enthusiasts, and artists of all kinds are encouraged to apply.